Adventures with Learning to Teach

A roller coaster journey which started out with teaching a kid and a habit that developed a life of its own!!!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Return of the Jedi

It has been a long time since I have made any posts. I thought this blog will just fizzle off... Actually, Nitin stopped coming home after a few days. He was upto some dangerous mischief when I was not watching... I was not even aware that he was in the compound...

He is the only kid of his parents and it is natural for every one to be scared of something happening to the kid. One of our other neighbors spotted him playing around our sump(water tank). The "grown ups" decided that it was better to keep the “two kids” separated at least until one of them grew up!!! So I may not make too many posts right now...

But in the mean time I felt that I wanted to post some new ways of looking at things that shook my ideas about educating kids that I had figured out by reading some Education related material. I initially thought I don't need to do a B.Ed. But these guys seem to have a really useful bundle of knowledge, that I could really benefit from. I had underestimated B.Ed(especially from the point of view of the current understanding of child psychology). Randomly scratching the surface is going to be a much more inefficient approach.

Frankly speaking, I never found any serious benefit from my BE other than a painless campus recruitment and some good friends... Though I did not learn much new stuff from what they tried to force feed me, I did pick up a lot of very useful material... While the stuff they taught in Comp Sci was far below my expectations, the formal education system gives you a well rounded education. I guess this would apply to B.Ed as well. Let me see what I might end up learning if I took it up... Anyone who has been there? Done That? What do you say?

In the mean time, I once again rejoined the MNC I used to work for and worked there for another year and quit again. I had to get some finances rolling. Now I have restructured my economic situation and ensured that I won't need to do that again. I might also be looking out for some freelance work, once in a while. If you have any contacts you can let me know. But I will be very choosy about the projects and when I want to do it. I have no freelancing plans for at least one more year. But I like to build up a network.

There is a lot of work out there and a lot of bidding going on. But I find it a waste of time getting involved in the negotiations... It is somewhat pointless haggling which I prefer to outsource myself. I've been there... Done that. Not that it is hard... But I don't enjoy it. For me it is as bad as sitting in those pointless meetings in those cubicles that take you nowhere. If some one can mask the chaos and be my front end to the ocean of opportunities, you could get a good slice of the profit.

I think I can go on even without the freelancing thing... But I like to keep my skills sharp. And I love programming for the pure joy of it... In the process, I could make some cash as well... for frivolous expenses like getting an iPhone or an G1G1 OLPC or a TabletPC or a vacation in another land. Else I prefer to lead a simple life. And who knows what "frivolous expenses" I might be forced to make as life goes by ;-)... I think I should remain flexible without compromising on my ideals.

I hope I will make many posts here and on other blogs as time goes by. I'll keep posting when there is something to say. Some of my friends say, I must publish the stuff on this blog some day as a book. At the moment, I feel there is too little content. But maybe who knows... some day, I too will have some thing worthwhile to say. Till then, I think this blog is more than enough to let off my steam...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home