Adventures with Learning to Teach

A roller coaster journey which started out with teaching a kid and a habit that developed a life of its own!!!

Friday, January 06, 2006

How it all started !!!

If you are not aware of it, I am a teaching freak. Recently stumbled across a concept called Socratic Method of teaching. It is about teaching without preaching. The instructor mainly asks questions and the student discovers his own answers. The primary role of the instructor is to merely prevent the student from straying too far from the right track. Once the student discovers this thrill of discovery, he becomes independant and is capapble of finding solutions even in the absence of the instructor. I tried this method on some of my friends and everyone was impressed beyond belief. My adventures with other friends is described in my blog called Socrates2. Due to the huge volume, I had to spin off a new blog.

This was most unexpected. I was sitting and cooly chit chatting with my friend Arun, and kinda getting some work done. Out of the blue, my neighbour popped up with her 3 year old son asking me to teach him computers every day for 15 mins. She asked so polietly, that I could not refuse and the kid was chooo chweet that I thought maybe I can play with this kid to relax...

But a 3 year old kid... computers!!! Where do I fit in. The first question I asked myself was... does he understand cartoons at 3. else he cant even play a game... And what is the hurry to learn computers anyway. What ever it may be, I decided that I would use the socratic method.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Amar said…

    Hi Sudarshan,


    your Blogs forces me to ask you a Question, what do you do for a Living?

    Thanks
    Amar

     

Post a Comment

<< Home